- Strawberries are grown year round in California
- 1 cup of strawberries is only 50 calories
- There is no difference in nutritional value between organic and fresh strawberries
- Strawberries are one of the best sources of vitamin C
Enjoy the recipe. And, if you are inspired to make some strawberry recipes let us know. We have one copy of the recipe book "Strawberry Recipes for Everyday" kindly provided by the California Strawberry Commission which we would be happy to send your way.
First come, first serve!
3 lbs fresh strawberries stemmed and chopped
1 lb plum tomatoes
1/2 lb English cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
4 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno pepper
3/4 c Sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper as needed
Jicama Salad (topping):
4 c Jicama, peeled and julienned
1 bunch chives, cut 1/2 inch length
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
1/2 lb fresh goat cheese
To make gazpacho, puree strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, jalapeno and vinegar in blender. Season with salt and pepper.
To make jicama salad combine jicama, chives, oil and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. For each serving of soup, mound 1/3 cup of jicama salad in center of soup plate. Carefully ladle 1 cup gazpacho around salad. Top with 1 ounce goat cheese, formed into a ball.
Makes 12 servings.
* This recipe is taken directly from "Strawberry Recipes for Everyday" copyright 2011 by the California Strawberry Commission.
** Photos taken by Lahleyoo.